Area Profile - Facts
Granville, New York - Did you know?
* The Slate Valley extends approximately twenty-four miles along the
New York/Vermont border from Granville, NY and Rupert, VT north to
Fair Haven, VT. The area is about six miles wide.
* Slate deposits were discovered near Middle Granville in 1850 and the
first quarry was opened by William R. Williams, who leased property
from George Porter in 1852.
* The Granville area has the only working red slate quarries in the
world, a very high quality slate with a life expectancy of 200 years.
* The red in Granville unfading red slate resulted from the erosion of
iron-rich soils that were exposed to an oxygen-rich environment.
* Harvard's premier slate-roofed structure, Memorial Hall (1878),
displays rock from the two most important slate-producing regions of
New England. The red shingles came from quarries near Granville, New
York, the green shingles from nearby Fair Haven, Vermont, and the
black from Monson, Maine.
* Telescope Folding Furniture Co. Inc. (now known as Telescope
Casual), moved to Granville in 1921 with financial assistance from the
Granville Community Association. During World War II Telescope
Folding Furniture produced up to 2,500 army cots per day.
* The Slate Valley Museum in the Village of Granville, offers visitors an
extensive collection of photographs and artifacts revealing the people
and traditions of over a Century of slate quarrying. Exhibits and
programs focus on geneology, tools and technology, local history and
* In 1850, the St. Francis Indians came to Granville; it was the tradition
among his people that their ancestors had for ages fished and hunted
in this town, fining here their best beavers.
* In 1902 Franklin Tanner Pember and his wife, Ellen Wood Pember
built the Pember Opera House; the Pember Library & Museum in 1908;
and in the 1920&8217's willed property to assist in financing a Village
* Susan B. Anthony visited the Corners in the Village of Granville in
1875 to give a lecture, the population was about 1,000 at that time.
* Lemuel Haynes - Minister, poet, abolitionist and soldier. In 1776
Haynes wrote the first known appeal for the Revolutionary War's
freedom cause to extend to enslaved Americans.
* One of the Victorian Homes Previewed in the book "America’ s
Painted Ladies : The Ultimate Celebration of Our Victorians" by
Elizabeth Pomada, is located on Main Street in Granville NY.
* Hick’s Orchard, located in Granville NY, is the oldest pick your own
apple orchard in New York State, they have been in existence since
1895 , selling their first pick your own cherries in 1905.
* The South Granville Congregational Church has sustained an active
congregation continuously since 1790.
* At the corner of Maple and Main, there stands an architect-designed
Richardson Romanesque building built for Eugene R. Norton, president
of the Norton Brothers Slate Co. in the glory days of 1890 to 1910.
* The Village Streets of Granville were lit with electricity for the first
time on Thursday evening, January 23, 1896 with three Arc lights of
2,000 candle power and 100 incandescent lamps of 25 candle power
for the price of $1,500.00 annually.